Decorating ideas for a small apartment


For the past eight years, I have lived in downtown Portland, Oregon. Sharing 555 square feet with two cats and my husband Rob. Here are my tips for living happily in an itty bitty space.

Location, Location, Location

The old adage is true! The first rule to urban living is finding a location you love. Whether that means walking distance to shops, proximity to work or a safe neighborhood. Having a good location improves your quality of life and that pays dividends in the long run.

A View to Greet You

Our view looks directly onto a beautiful eighty-eight year old Cathedral.  I realize that a view like this is not common, but remember you will be stuck with your view every single day. The Church greets me every morning and the intricately patterned stained glass windows tuck me into bed every night. When you sacrifice space,  a good view slaps you in the face, reminding you why you love your home.
Curate a Quality Collection 

Since space is limited, don't waste money on things you don't love. It might seem like a no brainer, but it is tempting to fill an empty space with something, even if you swear it is only temporary. Save your money! You'd be surprised how quickly 'temporary' fixes hang around.  It's okay if it takes time to save the money and find the right thing. Quality wins out in the end.


Furniture that does Double Duty

This secretary desk was in my Aunts family for generations and made the journey over from Sweden, it has so many nooks and crannies, I am able to squirrel away untold treasures. This piece ticks all the boxes for me, it is beautiful, compact and provides ample storage.


The Little Luxuries 

Flowers freshen up your home in a flash and don't take up a lot of space. I go for large & dramatic floral pieces. I keep it simple with branches, like the magnolia branches shown or maple branches and evergreens. Set your budget (I spent $10 dollars a week) and stick to it.


Thanks for taking a tour of my tiny home! 
Post a Comment