White Houses with Black Shutters :: Classic Colonial Revival

White House with Black Shutters
This weekend I wandered around the West Hills of Portland, Oregon and like a tourist in my own town, took pictures of family homes in Portland's highest tax bracket.  


White House with Black Shutters
I was struck by the sheer number of white homes with black shutters in the neighborhood. A majority of these homes are marked with Colonial Revival traits.

White House with Black Shutters
A Colonial Revival home is characterized by symmetry, crown pediments, columned porches, paired chimneys, a front door flanked by narrow windows and topped by a fanlight window.  

A white house exterior accented with black shutters feels a bit like Leave It To Beaver, and while I have never actually seen that 50s television show, to me that simply means classic American charm. 

What type of house is synonymous with classic American charm in your opinion?

3 comments:

Meeling said...

Looks like a fabulous neighborhood. Personally I love the clean lines of some of the mid century 50's & 60's bungalows. They always pull at my heartstrings for some reason. :-)

Librarian said...

These all are very handsome houses - I wouldn't mind living in one of them myself!

Eric Forsberg said...

It's a nice information about the quality Shutters in London.You have done a great job by sharing this.Can you tell me the price of that design shutters.