Northern Ireland :: Carrick-A-Rede

Northern Ireland Coast, Carrick-A- Rede
Northern Ireland is my ancestral homeland.

My whole life I have anticipated a trip to the 'auld sod' and as we took the ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland, a sense of calm settled over me.  This was the last country on our trip, the grand finale before our return back home.

Our first day in Northern Ireland, we took a day trip down the coastal causeway. 

Our first stop was Carrick-A-Rede, a rope bridge perched on the cliffs of Northern Ireland. Since it was the height of tourist season, we waited a cool 15 minutes to cross the famed rope bridge (and spent 5 pounds each for the pleasure). Fortunately, the view while we waited was one for the history books. 
Northern Ireland Coast

We were also supremely lucky to have sunshine and clear weather for our scenic trip down the Coastal Causeway.

Northern Ireland Coast, Carrick-A- Rede

Northern Ireland Coast, Carrick-A- Rede

Next stop on our journey, lunch at the oldest distillery in the world, Bushmill's.

12 comments:

Meeling said...

What a wonderful journey to make and what weather!! How you will cherish the memories and the beautiful photographs.

::The Beetle Shack:: said...

oooh lucky you!

We are so deserted here in Australia, everything is SO far away!

xo em

Librarian said...

Spectacular pictures, and certainly worth the wait! I am glad you were able to make that trip and see the place where your family originates from.

Liz said...

How wonderful to have the opportunity to visit the "home land". My ancestry is from Ireland too, and although I live in Scotland, I've never visited! Must rectify that soon!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Tammy Chrzan said...

Gorgeous scenery!!! You're lucky and blessed!

Amanda said...

So beautiful!!!

I'm very envious of your honeymoon. So many destinations I've been yearning to visit.

xo

Jan said...

What gorgeous pics of a lovely part of the world. Did you get to the Giant's Causeway too.. Jx

Kay G. said...

What a great post, I do so hope to see Ireland one day!
What a great photo of the two of you and how very happy you both look.

Kathy Haynie said...

This is so, so lovely. The photos make me want to visit these places, too. The photo of you and Rob makes me smile. I am lucky to get to work with him every day...looking forward to getting to know you better, too. Thanks for a peaceful blog visit at the end of my day.

ZoeB said...

You were brave. I made it half way across the rope bridge, froze, and then had to be half carried the rest of the way.( I'm terrified of heights despite being 6ft 2"! )My brother married in Ballycastle and we spent a wonderful week probably following a similar route to you. Rope bridge, Bushmills, giants causeway. Fantastic

ZoeB said...

You were brave. I made it half way across the rope bridge, froze, and then had to be half carried the rest of the way.( I'm terrified of heights despite being 6ft 2"! )My brother married in Ballycastle and we spent a wonderful week probably following a similar route to you. Rope bridge, Bushmills, giants causeway. Fantastic

Emily Dicksion said...


I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information wonderful collection, but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great
dubrovnik rentals