Amsterdam, Holland :: Honeymoon Begins


We touched down in Amsterdam, a mere 48 hours after being declared "Man & Wife".  It makes me a bit dizzy to think about, actually. After all the Huzzah of getting married, it's a bit of a shock to find oneself standing on foreign soil, laden with a 40 pound backpack, trying to navigate a new city, with a newly minted husband.

After a dazed minute, I collected myself & immediately fell in love with Amsterdam. The houses stacked together like irregular cuts of bread, the canals weaving through the city like a murky thread, the bikes clipping at your heels everywhere you go, but most of all the friendly people.

I am, on the whole a rather shy person. It takes me a minute to open up & like a sea anemone I can close up fast. My husband Rob has none of my reserve. He has a lot to share & he will make you like him. That is a bit like Amsterdam, the people are so open & forthright. We really had no choice in the matter, we had to fall in love with this city.


For such a bustling city, I was amazed at the laid-back & friendly demeanor of everyone we met. Amsterdam: old beauty mixed with tolerant & modern ideology. A match made in heaven, if you ask me.



Post a Comment